Email issues with mixed 32/64 bit environment

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I'm trying to use ExceptionReporter in a managed Win32 Application.  I'm running on Win7/64, with 64-bit Office (including Outlook) installed and no 32-bit mail client (Win7 does not come with any mail client by default).

When I try to get ER to send an Email, I see an error "Microsoft Office Outlook / Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request.  Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client".  It turns out that Outlook is the default mail client.  

The message box is shown during the (first) call to MAPILogon in Mapi.Logon(), and the error value returned is 0x80004005; session is left at null.  However, the code continues and sends the email successfully.  Looking at the documentation for MAPILogon here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd296726(v=vs.85).aspx it seems that the function is deprecated.

I've disabled the call to mapi.Logon in MailSender.SendMapi and everything still seems to work fine.  Since the call seems to be superfluous and troublesome, perhaps it would be better removed from the code?

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Thanks, yeah I did notice that recently and didn't have the time to look at it but the research you've done there looks like the answer.

Looks like we can remove the call & maybe just confirm that other environments (32-bit/vista) don't have any negative effects.

Coordinator
Jul 4, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Edited Jul 4, 2013 at 2:51 AM
Took my sweet time but I've added this change to remove the call to mapi.Logon() - https://exceptionreporter.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/e967edb80433ae6e11f9ed855058783a65e0a3b1
I also got this error when using ExceptionReporter on my machine & removing the call fixed it for me (as you said) - so that's as tested as it can get ;-)
Jul 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Bug fixes are like good wine - they improve with age. Thanks, Phil On 04/07/2013 03:49, PandaWood wrote: > > From: PandaWood > > Took my sweet time but I've added this change to remove the call to > *mapi.Logon()* to the codebase. > I got this error on my machine & removing the call fixed it for me - > so that's as tested as it can get ;-) > > Read the full discussion online > . > > To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email > ([email removed] > ) > > To start a new discussion for this project, email > [email removed] > > > You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion > on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe > on > CodePlex.com. > > Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any > posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com > -- *Pixel Analytics* is a limited company registered in England. Company number: 7747526; Registered office: 93A New Road, Haslingfield, Cambridge CB23 1LP Bug fixes are like good wine - they improve with age.

Thanks,

Phil

On 04/07/2013 03:49, PandaWood wrote:

Took my sweet time but I've added this change to remove the call to mapi.Logon() to the codebase.
I got this error on my machine & removing the call fixed it for me - so that's as tested as it can get ;-)

--
Pixel Analytics is a limited company registered in England. Company number: 7747526; Registered office: 93A New Road, Haslingfield, Cambridge CB23 1LP