This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Removing WMI check for DiskDrives

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:19 AM
Edited Jul 29, 2008 at 5:23 AM
I've decided, unless it's popularly needed, that the enumeration of 'Disk Drives' on a system be removed from the Environment tab (which I'm actually renaming to Computer)

I think it's a very expensive call (maybe more so I'm my machine at the moment because I have 3 and one of them is very slow). And I don't imagine it providing useful information in almost any case.

In fact, I'm going to look at all the info printed in this 'TreeView' and cull a whole bunch that are clearly not useful.
I think the few seconds that this operation takes, doesn't need to take half that long.
I also intend to put it on a background thread, however, the quicker the ExceptionReporter dialog appears and is ready, the better.
Feb 10, 2009 at 12:11 PM
IMHO useful drives could be system drive and application drive - at least information about free space on those drives.
Feb 11, 2009 at 2:15 PM
Edited Feb 11, 2009 at 2:19 PM
Yes, maybe we should revisit this.
My PC at work, had only an E drive (ie no C drive). And that caused *no end* of problems.
Hence, if a user has an E drive, like I did, you probably want to know this in any exception report.

As an example, Adobe Flash version 10 for Windows, *fails to install* on a PC without a C drive. Very surprising (and perhaps unforgiveable).
(http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-907)
Feb 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM
AFAIK letter of system disk should be accessible via WMI Win32_OperatingSystem SystemDrive or SystemDirectory. and application drive should be accesible from Applications property ExecutablePath.