This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Extensions

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:42 PM
Hi,
I'd like to ask if you are planning some custom extension feature -- eg. I have some session globals which I'd like to see in report log because there could be important in particular bugs. I can imagine that I'd write some event handler / or register some instance of specified type into exception reporter and it will add my information to the log.
What do you think about such feature?
Rene
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2009 at 2:01 PM
Edited Feb 11, 2009 at 2:04 PM
I'm not planning any addin/plugin type feature at this time.
I'm even wondering whether some things (like this) are best left external?
If some variables are important, then one way to get them in, is to include them in the exception ;-)

The reason for my thinking, is that you really want an exception reporting tool to be very solid and have a very low risk of internal exceptions or bugs which might even prevent users from reporting 'real' bugs ;-)

So I am seeing plugin/add-in type behaviour as possibly inappropriate. But I'm not certain about it.

Developer
Feb 11, 2009 at 10:01 PM
Agreed.
either include them in the exception or one stable alternative we could offer is to pass a string to exceptionReporter.Show
Feb 12, 2009 at 12:34 PM
Hi guys,
thanks for your answers. I understand your worries about plugins. On the other hand I didn't see much difference between handling string message and built tree object (such TreeNode could be merged with others nodes and should be good enough). But I don't want to push you anywhere.
Thanks for your work.
Rene